Saturday, October 15, 2011

7400 Logic E-reader


This is my entry for the Open 7400 logic competition.
This post will consist of mostly images and basic descriptions, with another post coming soon with more technical descriptions and diagrams.

My project is an e-reader created entirely from discrete 74HC(T)00 components, some resistors and caps, two eproms, the odd 4000 chip.
The basic concept involves simultaneously feeding a 16-bit counter into two 8-bit R-2R DACs and a lookup table containing pixel data to be fed into the Z-axis (intensity input) of my old analog scope. This table is in effect implemented by having one eprom, containing ascii text, feed into another, containing a 8x8 pixel font. By manipulating the address lines of the text-eprom, further functionality like scrolling is achieved.
I might move parts of the circuit onto stripboard later, to free up space on my breadboard for more functionality (like chapter support or autoscroll).

Note: The front page says EEPROM instead of EPROM. I don't have access to a burner right now, so i can't fix it (ironically, if it did use an eeprom, i could).


Edit: Part 2 (link)






1 comment:

  1. This devilish machine of the undead makes me proud to know you!

    Incredible work!!!

    ReplyDelete